Monday, March 2, 2009

She did what, now?

One of my friends in Lexington sent me a news article today to ask if I knew the jackass in question, because the incident happened near my home, and I just could not help but to comment on the situation. So, what's the situation?



A woman, who I will not name (but whose name you can read here: http://www.wpxi.com/irresistible/18831330/detail.html) was pulled over near my home for breast feeding her infant, while talking on her cell phone, while driving her other children to school. When questioned the woman said that she would take the officer's advice under consideration, but would do it again if she thought she needed to. That really happened.



Now I'm going to skip my normal bout of, "this crazy broad can have kids, I'm pumping myself full of hormones and contemplating the insane costs of IVF but, this irresponsible, reckless, crappy excuse for a mother can have kids all day long" and go straight to "WTF!" Well, maybe I won't skip it. But shit, I'm bitter.



I guess what bothers me isn't just that she was nursing and driving, although that's enough. It's that she was nursing and talking on her cell phone and caring for other children and driving. Either this woman really doesn't have a handle on time management, or she just doesn't care. I just can't fathom the phone conversation that was so important that it had to take place while nursing and driving. I also can't imagine how hungry the baby must have been to have made it necessary to nurse right then. I'm not advocating letting a kid starve by any means, but c'mon, was waiting 10 minutes any more likely to kill the poor thing than the whole nursing/talking/driving situation? I'm tending to think, probably not. Were the other kids running so late for school she couldn't stop for a few minutes before walking out the door? I haven't even started on the endangerment to the other kids in the car.



This brings me back to my friend, who has a theory... The world would be a better place if everyone had to take a pill to have a baby, rather than have to take one to prevent having a baby. I wouldn't wish infertility on anyone (well, except maybe this broad), but I'm starting to see why she feels this way.

No comments: